Re: Eclipse 3.0

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Eclipse 3.0
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 12:16:59 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 14:46, Jeroen Frijters wrote:
> Is anyone able to run Eclipse 3.0? I could run 3.0M8, but as of M9 it
> fails to start up [1]. If haven't downloaded the more recent RCs, but I
> have no reason to assume they fare any better.
>
> I spent considerable time today trying to figure out what is going
> wrong, but so far haven't made any progress.

Same here :{

For 3.0 final I get the same problem as you with both jamvm and gij:

org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Exception in
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.SystemBundleActivator.start() of
bundle org.eclipse.osgi.
   at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.startActivator
(BundleContextImpl.java:975)
   at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.start
(BundleContextImpl.java:937)
[...]
   at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.adaptor.core.BundleResourceHandler.openConnection
(BundleResourceHandler.java:138)
   at java.net.URL.openConnection (URL.java:658)
   at java.net.URL.openStream (URL.java:671)
   at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.ManifestLocalization.getResourceBundle
(ManifestLocalization.java:114)
[...]

This indicates that it is a general bug in our GNU Classpath core
libraries. I have been unable to pinpoint it however. Somehow an
initialization sequence in that osgi.framework BundleBla goes wrong
since I cannot find where it should have set the (static) context
variable that the BundleResourceHandle.openConnection() tries to use
(and that produces this NullPointerException).

But even everything after 3.0M5 hasn't worked for me at all.
Trying 3.0M8 blows up completely on gij (OutOfMemoryException <<no
stacktrace available>>). And with jamvm it gives:

org.osgi.framework.BundleException: An error occured trying to read the bundle
   at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.defaultadaptor.DefaultAdaptor$1.begin
(DefaultAdaptor.java:447)
   at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.installWorkerPrivileged
(Framework.java:720)
[...]
Nested exception:
java.io.IOException: Unable to properly read manifest for:
reference:file:/tmp/eclipse/./plugins/org.eclipse.osgi.services_3.0.0/
   at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseBundleData.loadFromManifest
(EclipseBundleData.java:231)
   at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.defaultadaptor.DefaultBundleData.initializeNewBundle
 (DefaultBundleData.java:93)

I am not really making progress on this unfortunately.