Re: Supporting multiple APIs simultaneously

From: Chris Gray
Subject: Re: Supporting multiple APIs simultaneously
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 13:52:12 +0200

On Friday 02 July 2004 12:42, Andrew John Hughes wrote:

> That sounds like a good choice of APIs to me, at least for the present.
> 1.1 is pretty much here with Classpath, AFAICS, so that should give a
> working Java implementation, which looks better to users wanting to use
> Classpath and distros wanting to ship it.  Most applets probably only
> need this level of support, I'd imagine -- don't know if things have
> changed recently.

1.1.x has become a standard for web applets, because of MS's refusal to
support anything more modern in IE. That situation may change now after the
settlement between MS and Sun, but 1.1.x will probably remain the lingua
franca of the www for some time. Applets requiring later versions of the APIs
certainly exist, but mainly in an intranet/extranet context, where it's
feasible to require that users have a certain plug-in installed.

Putting 1.1.x into a separate CVS branch would have the advantage that APIs
which have since been deprecated could be treated as such in the other
branches, which could make for much cleaner code.

--
Chris Gray                      /k/ Embedded Java Solutions
Embedded & Mobile Java, OSGi        http://www.kiffer.be/k/