Re: On Java and open source

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: On Java and open source
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 21:43:18 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 09:42, Chris Burdess wrote:
> There's an interesting article on LinuxWorld at the moment:
>
>   http://www.linuxworld.com/story/45489.htm
>
> Note that the issue is very much "open source" and not at all "free" in
> this discussion.

Yeah, I am more and more convinced that the whole "Open Source"
marketing and "re-branding" of Free Software was a big mistake.

Here is a report of the event by Anthony Green:
http://spindazzle.org/open/javaone-openjava.txt

And another by Brian Behlendorf:
http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:8442:jofgjhnhdmjcodplfbnf

It was kind of strange that on the one hand Sun was full of praise for
OVM (distributed under the GPL and build with GNU Classpath!) but on the
other hand they claimed that Free Software (or open source as he calls
it) doesn't lead to more freedom and innovation...

Also there was a lot of talk about compatibility but after months and
months of waiting the kaffe team still hasn't heard back about getting a
TCK to test kaffe against.