classpath API version

From: Robert Schuster
Subject: classpath API version
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 00:22:17 +0200

Hi,
a former discussion on this list got to the point where it was discussed which API version Classpath is going to support but there was no final answer yet. I hope to start up this discussion again and we can get to a conclusion.

Classpath' projectpage says it is going to be compatible with JDK1.1 but classpath already contains 1.4-style features and looks like a hybrid now (at least for me). It would not be that bad if a higher version number only means that there is a larger amount of classes available but unfortunately this is not the only case: Often a newer JDK version deprecated certain classes, methods and fields, changed the usage of the 'final' keyword, added exceptions to the throws-clause or changed the values of constants (see java.awt.event). When looking closely at the JDK1.x-classpath comparisons one can easily spot situations where classpath is beyond a certain JDK version (eg. 1.1 java.lang) but on the other hand there are situations where classpath is not up-to-date (eg. java.net, look at the 1.4 and 1.3 comparison).

What I want to say is: IMHO since Classpath already stepped into the 1.4 land it would not a good idea to primary support previous JDK versions. Classpath had to rip classes, methods and signatures off to be compatible with <1.4 again. If Classpath would officially head for full 1.4 compatibility this would a much better. Java 1.5 is a nice 'natural' barrier for adding its features because it needs a different syntax and therefore tools ...

cu
Robert Schuster