GNU Classpath and JDK1.0 completeness and compatibility

From: Roman Kennke
Subject: GNU Classpath and JDK1.0 completeness and compatibility
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:37:53 +0200

Hi list,

In one of the last threads on this list there was a discussion about
which JDK spec GNU Classpath should have as a goal for its 1.0 release.
I will not answer it here (altough it seemed that most people see 1.4 as
a reasonable goal).

To concentrate efforts and to provide a basis for future development I
think it is reasonable to start with spec JDK1.0, complete this and then
concentrate on 1.1 and so on. Sure, there are some incompatibilities and
inconsistencies when going this way, in these cases I propose to make a
compromise in favour of the newer spec.

I have put together a checklist against JDK 1.0:

http://ontographics.com/classpath/status-1.0.html

I am starting now to manually audit all classes listed there with the
criteria listed on this page in mind. I'll start with documentation,
then check for implementations of the specified classes and public
methods and then write missing tests and/or fix failing tests. Of course
everybody is invited to join these efforts. :)

I think we should move these pages to
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/classpath.html soon.

Any more suggestions? Some more points that must be considered?

Cheers, Roman