Re: Branch for generics

From: Steven Augart
Subject: Re: Branch for generics
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 01:13:25 -0400

Tom Tromey wrote:

I'm going to make a branch for generics work, including all the other
parts of 1.5; for the most part these rely on generics and can't be
done independently anyway.  I plan to name it "generics-branch".

This makse sense.

* Commit rules. [....]

I agree with the commit rule. They seem clean. I suppose it makes sense not to wait for approval, since only a few people will be working on that branch for now. Your suggestion of putting [generics] in the subject line is wise.

* Lifetime.
 I propose we merge the branch to mainline when two criteria are met:

 1. A majority of Classpath-using VM implementors agree that they
 have access to a compiler suitable for compiling the branch.

 2. A majority of Classpath-using VMs can actually use this version
 of Classpath, though perhaps not perfectly.  (In particular here
 I'm thinking that it is probably ok if the new reflection code does
 not work -- the VM will still be able to bootstrap, it just won't
 implement all of 1.5 faithfully.)

This is a good idea too.
I'm personally not going to be using it for a while; other fish to fry....

Incidentally, I should mention here that I'll be on a much-needed vacation Saturday, August 7th, through Sunday, August 15th.
--Steve Augart