More astonishing progress in japi scores

From: Stuart Ballard
Subject: More astonishing progress in japi scores
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 10:55:05 -0400

It was only back in August that I commented on how amazing the level of coverage reported by japitools was these days. I listed the following holes:

- Swing
- CORBA
- Sound
- Imageio
- Security

None of these have been eliminated as such, and XML has been added to the list due to the dropping of the builtin JAXP, BUT:

Swing is no longer just "a big red hole with a few green bits filled in". Swing is now *entirely* green except for .plaf and .text. This is unbelievable considering the size of the task and the speed with which it's been achieved.

Security is in a similar situation only even more so - the only holes are auth.kerberos and auth.spi.

It seems to be established that Sound and XML are both just a matter of dropping in some third-party code. And CORBA too, except in that case we know some work needs to be done to make the third-party code compile outside of Sun's JDK.

In other words, the entire list of real holes boil down to:

- Bits of swing (plaf and text)
- Bits of security (kerberos and spi)
- Imageio
- Making some third-party CORBA code compile and filling in any holes

This is all that's necessary for *complete 1.4 API coverage at 80% or better for every single package*.

It doesn't seem like long ago that it seemed that even reaching 1.2 compatibility was so far away that it was practically unachievable. To be this close to what, two days ago, was the latest JDK version, is absolutely incredible.

I know I'm not necessarily adding value to the list by posting a fanboyish message like this. But I figure that the hackers responsible for having climbed this huge hill deserve tremendous kudos and gratitude, and would probably appreciate being told that :)

Stuart.

--
Stuart Ballard, Senior Web Developer
NetReach, Inc.