Re: Eclipse

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: Eclipse
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 13:47:45 +0200

Michael Koch wrote:
Am Montag, 25. Oktober 2004 12:15 schrieb Arnaud Vandyck:

Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:59:54 +0200,

Mark Wielaard <address@hidden> wrote:

For 0.12 I want to at least move GNU JAXP in again in the
external directory. Maybe it can become a regular part of GNU
Classpath, we would need to discuss that with Chris and Arnaud.

'Merging' gnujaxp in classpath make sense to me. Maybe you can add
a --without-xml parameter to the configure script for small devices
or for easy customization. jaxp is a part of java since 1.4.

Doing this isn't trivial as java.beans will depend on it and javax.imageio on some parts of GNU jaxp too.

I think we have to implement something like profiles in the near future to handle small devices and such.

I think that GNU Classpath should support the latest APIs in general, which are 1.4/1.5 atm. As JAXP is part of it, it should be easily integratable into GNU Classpath's class library, in my opinion. It doesn't need to be merged in directly, simply supporting & requiring it in the build process would be enough, I think. It's just another dependency like gtk is for working AWT/Swing support. Given that classes outside JAXP (beans, imageio) depend on it, I'd be for making GNU JAXP (or another JAXP implementation, if necessary) a hard requirement.

If someone really needs a JDK 1.0 subset of Classpath, they'll have to put enough work into rewriting the core classes anyway that it would warrant a fork, in my opinion. If someone just needs a simple way to jar a subset of classes in the build, then that should be fairly trivial to implement.

cheers,
dalibor topic