Re: Eclipse

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: Eclipse
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 20:54:42 +0200

Tom Tromey wrote:
For instance, someone could write a tool to cut down the class library
to custom-fit your application.  Or we could mark up the library
source with Classpath-specific 1.5 attributes that end up in the class
files, and that are used to remove parts of the classes later on.
(There are probably lots of cool things we could do with attributes,
something worth brainstorming about.)

Tools to do former exist. My experience with them and Kaffe was not very good. See [1] for a list of such tools.

I know this approach avoids some of the things needed for real
compatibility, for instance when semantics change over time.  But is
anyone really clamoring for JDK 1.0 compatibility?  My impression is
that when this has come up on this list it is just as a way to get a
release out that has 100% compatibility with *something* -- but for me
that is not an interesting end in and of itself.  In fact, I think a
release that is compatible with just JDK 1.0 is kind of laughable at
this date.

It was meant as a hillarious example :)

cheers,
dalibor topic