Re: Build and install without compiling java files?

From: Michael Koch
Subject: Re: Build and install without compiling java files?
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:09:13 +0100

Am Montag, 29. November 2004 08:30 schrieb Grzegorz B. Prokopski:
> On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 14:52, Michael Koch wrote:

> > > Just curious.. why do you say that?
> >
> > I think there is no real need for it. It just bloats the source
> > tarball. All sources are included inside to tarball to build it.
>
> I agree.
>
> As you've just said this is a *source* tarball.  A .zip file
> containing .class files definitely does not count as a source.
> Altough this way of distributing is popular in java world, I think
> it'd be much nicer to simply have separate *binary* distribution of
> the glibj.zip.
>
> glibj-0.12.zip anyone?

And what defaults will you use in gnu.classpath.Configuration ? Some
stuff is optimized by the compiler based on constants in this class
during build time. E.g. when Cconfiguration.DEBUG is false all code
using

if (Configuration.DEBUG) ...

is optimized away. for DEBUG thats not really critical but what about
INIT_LOAD_LIBRARY. JNI libraries are loaded based on this. When this
is false the loading code is optimized away.

Michael
--
Homepage: http://www.worldforge.org/