RE: Memory leak in java.lang.Thread ?

From: Jeroen Frijters
Subject: RE: Memory leak in java.lang.Thread ?
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 10:56:23 +0100

Chris Gray wrote:
> Well if you ask me around half of the methods of ThreadGroup
> coul dbest be improved by shredding them, incinerating the
> remains and dispersing the ashes to the furhtest corners of
> the galaxy. For the remaining half, a clarification of the
> semantics would be most welcome. :-)

Apparently Josh Bloch said in Effective Java: "To summarize, thread
groups don't provide much in the way of useful functionality, and much
of the functionality they do provide is flawed".

I'm leaning towards "leaking" daemon thread groups in the case of
unstarted threads that have been GCed.

Regards,
Jeroen