Re: org. omg. CORBA implementation

From: Bryce McKinlay
Subject: Re: org. omg. CORBA implementation
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:00:55 -0500

Jeff Bailey wrote:

The tentative plan at this point is to use Orbit, since that's the Official GNU
ORB(tm).
My gut feeling is that using a non-Java ORB wouldn't be the best technology decision for classpath. It doesn't make much sense to add Java bindings to a non-Java ORB when there are so many ORBs written natively for Java, and writing/testing/debugging JNI bindings may not be all that much easier than writing a Java ORB from scratch. On technology grounds, OpenORB[1] or JacORB[2] would seem to be better choices. Licensing is the real issue, but we shouldn't write off the possibilty of using these until the parties in question have been contacted.

I suspect that just having the org.omg interfaces, and not a full ORB implementation, will be sufficient for many/most users. Questions regarding the licensing of these classes have prevented/delayed this from happening in the past.

Bryce

[1] http://openorb.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://www.jacorb.org/