Re: OT: Eclipse Additions

From: Robert Schuster
Subject: Re: OT: Eclipse Additions
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:49:25 +0100

Hi,
thanks to Tom Tromey's guide on hacking Classpath with eclipse I am using it for quite a while. However there is one thing that bothers me and just today this little incovenience caused a little havoc while applying my latest patch.

When hacking on Classpath I usually have more than one patch in the queue. When I think a patch is ready for peer review I send it to cp-patches and wait some days for comments. Usually I have written the proper changelog entry for the patch already.

While waiting for the comments I start hacking on another problem (maybe something tiny that does not need a review). When I want to apply it someone else may have committed his/her patches already and I do a 'cvs update'. Now thinks get ugly. Since my first patch was not yet applied but I have done the changelog entry for it conflict markers are inserted in ChangeLog. Worst of all: To apply my new patch the changelog entry of the first patch has to be removed.

Currently I handle this problem by checking out classpath in multiple directories. I was told that vi users are doing it this way, too. The difference is that vi/(emacs?) users hack directly on the files in the respective work directories while I always edit in a 'base' work directory and copy the changed files over to the real work directories and apply the patch from there. The reason for that is that this base directory is in the workspace of eclipse where it is correctly set up as a project.

My suggested addition to eclipse is that it should support hacking the same project using multiple work directories. Creating a new project for every patch would be a tedious because I had to set up the project properties every time.

What about that?

cu
Robert

Andrew Overholt wrote:

Hi Everyone,

As some of you know, we here in the Eclipse group at Red Hat are now
working at getting Eclipse into Fedora Core.  We have packages available in
what will become Fedora Core 4 (scheduled for mid-May-ish) which are
natively-compiled with what will become gcj 4.  We would like to thank all
those involved in the GCJ and Classpath communities for getting things to
the point where this is possible - your work is great!

Now comes the fun part:  making Eclipse better for your needs.  We're
interested in hearing what you think would make Eclipse a more useful tool
for you in your work with GNU Classpath.  What kind of things annoy you?
What kind of new features would you like to see?  What kind of changes to
existing aspects of Eclipse would make things easier for you?  Ideas of all
shapes and sizes are welcome whether they be very specific or very general.
Besides generating ideas for cool projects, we're hoping this will also
drum up more interest in Eclipse on Linux in general.

Thanks for your time,

John Healy
Ben Konrath
Aaron Luchko