PR - Lugradio interview online

From: Sven de Marothy
Subject: PR - Lugradio interview online
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 17:39:32 +0100

Hi!
The short interview I did with the LugRadio guys is now available online
at:
http://www.lugradio.org/episodes/latest

It's worth mentioning that they cut out the second half or so of the
interview. A bit to their own detriment, since it makes some of their
comments on the interview rather incomprehensible.

Just to fill in, in some of the parts left on the editing room floor, I
pointed out the massive amount of open/free code out there which can't
be run on a free system, mentioning Apache and so on.

They also had a question on the 'catch-up game' issue, and whether Sun
would change stuff just to give us a hard time.

What I said there was that it's not really the same situation as with MS
Word, where breaking backwards compability is OK since MS doesn't really
need anyone to be compatible except Office, and that breaking it in fact
creates incentive to upgrade. Whereas with APIs, the situation is
exactly opposite; people won't upgrade if it breaks their existing apps.

Which is why you can't open a Word97 document in Word95, but you can
still run Windows 3.0 apps on WinXP. So really, the catch-up issue isn't
that much of a problem for us as for say, OpenOffice.org.

Okay, you can start flaming now. :)

/Sven