Re: IIOP tools

From: Thomas Fitzsimmons
Subject: Re: IIOP tools
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 11:58:28 -0400

On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 16:12 +0200, Sven de Marothy wrote:
> Hi Archit,
>
> >GNU Classpath currently has almost no support for IIOP. I'm wondering
> >what the interest level is in expanding GNU classpath support for
> IIOP.
> >I'm not sure what runtime classes are needed for IIOP, but I think
> >JacORB [1] provides most of what is needed.
>
> Right, but not the interfaces and the like. Unfortunately we can't use
> the OMG code, due to licensing reasons.

Yes, I've been wondering about this.  Audrius, are you working on
re-implementing these non-free interfaces?  That would probably be the
best place to start on Classpath's implementation.  Then maybe we can
get JacORB dual-licensed LGPL/GPL+exception and import it into Classpath
directly.

Since JacORB is already very mature and widely-used it would be a shame
to duplicate all that effort in Classpath, just for licensing reasons.

Tom