Re: Cleaning up Savannah (a bit)

From: Andrew John Hughes
Subject: Re: Cleaning up Savannah (a bit)
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 10:58:33 +0100

On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 05:56 +0200, Sven de Marothy wrote:
> Hi,
> I guess you all know we've got a Task list and a Patches list on
> Savannah. Both of these have been used somewhat sporadically in the
> past, and the follow-up hasn't been so good.
>
> I'd like to clean it up a bit and close all bugs and patches prior to
> Jan 1, 2005, since they're probably not relevant nor followed anymore.
> Anyone against?
>
> At the same time, we *REALLY* need to get this Task-list stuff
> homogenized. At the moment, we've got the "Tasks" page on the Classpath
> homepage, the Savannah tasks tracker, and the mediation wiki.
>
> Perhaps we should move the remaining current items from the Savannah
> tracker (Audrius' CORBA stuff, mostly) to the wiki, and close the
> Savannah tracker completely and kill the task-list on the homepage, and
> just have the mediation Wiki?
> (http://developer.classpath.org/mediation/ClasspathOpenTasks)
>
> And link to it from the main page, of course.
>
> Anyone against?

I think the bug tracker is mostly up-to-date; if there are some rotting
bugs in there that no longer apply, then I assume that the move to
Bugzilla would involve a check of the relevancy of the bugs before they
are moved across.  As with most bug databases, there are quite a few
that are still pertinent, but involve quite a bit to fix.  The ones that
tend to go are relatively trivial.  There are probably some that could
be closed that were reported a long time ago, where the original
reporter has disappeared and they can't be replicated.  I think this is
sort of what you implied, but an arbitrary date is probably not the best
way to handle all of them.

I definitely agree on the task list; both the GNU Classpath web page one
and the Savannah one are very misleading to prospective GNU Classpath
hackers.  In this case, I think we should choose the one that is most
used by the current team; if this is the wiki, then so be it, but I do
feel the Savannah one is the one that is more 'designed' for this
purpose.  Maybe there is a possibility of a similar but better feature
in Bugzilla which could be used when we moved to the GCJ system?

Thanks for bringing it up,
--
Andrew :-)

Please avoid sending me Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, PowerPoint)
attachments.

No software patents in Europe -- http://nosoftwarepatents.com

"Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
`Don't bother us with politics' respond those who don't want to learn."
-- Richard Stallman

public class gcj extends Freedom implements Java { ... }