FYI: rewriting Jessie

From: Casey Marshall
Subject: FYI: rewriting Jessie
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:56:49 -0700

I've started work on what will likely become a complete rewrite of Jessie, to implement the new API introduced in the J2SE version 1.5, which allows using SSL connections with NIO channels. The basic idea is to first re-implement the SSL core over the SSLEngine class, then to rewrite the blocking Socket implementation to use that class. I'm going to take this opportunity to

- Make the dependencies cleaner, so it will no longer depend on GNU Crypto directly, but will rather use the Java crypto APIs exclusively. The only direct dependencies planned are on Classpath. - Write all SSL structs as "views" on ByteBuffers, to limit byte copying. Also, I'd like to flesh out the use of one class per SSL struct, and make the internal API easy to understand and extend. - Make extensive use of java.util.logging to provide run-time debugging.
  - Include a unit test suite.

I am writing this as an "external" package to GNU Classpath, so with a simple patch to Classpath's build configuration it can be included in Classpath proper. I'll be initially working on the source code in this Subversion repository, and anyone is welcome to join:

  http://unmodern.net/svn/repos/jessie/trunk/

Cheers!