Re: Patch for Jikes 1.22

From: Grzegorz B. Prokopski
Subject: Re: Patch for Jikes 1.22
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 03:09:10 -0400

On Tue, 2005-05-07 at 15:44 +1000, Stephen Crawley wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I've submitted a two-line patch to the Jikes project on SourceForge
> that works around the problem which shown up when you use Jikes 1.22 to
> compile against a Classpath class tree.
>
> The symptom is that the compiler dies with an assertion error at
> line 1110 of "symbol.h" in the IsInner method.  The workaround is to
> simply remove the assertion.
>
> I cannot vouch for the correctness of the patch ... but it works for me.

I don't know much of the quality of jikes code, but "just" removing
a failing assertion from SableVM has always proven to be a bad idea,
eventually.

> As a matter of interest, how does SableVM deal with this bug?

I don't think we've hit it.  SableVM SDK 1.12 uses Jikes 1.22 plus
a little patch for deprecated method handling.

                        Grzegorz B. Prokopski

--
Grzegorz B. Prokopski           <address@hidden>
SableVM - Free, LGPL'ed Java VM  http://sablevm.org