Re: Bug database transition and fun with bugs

From: Andrew John Hughes
Subject: Re: Bug database transition and fun with bugs
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 22:27:53 +0100

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 17:17 +0200, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As you have probably seen the bug database transition has been completed
> for a while now and seems to be working fine. The relevant libgcj bugs
> have also been merged into the new "classpath product". Please point
> people to http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/bugs.html for looking up
> and/or submitting new bugs. It offers a few quick links that should make
> it easy to see if a bug was already reported and to report a new issue.
> It also has some links to statistics, tables and graphs of our bugs.
> Suggestions for improvements to this page are welcome. The page is in
> our CVS as doc/www.gnu.org/bugs.wml.

Great work.

> Currently we only have the following modules: awt, classpath, cp-tools,
> gjdoc, inetlib and swing. I had suggested about 20 modules but it seemed
> that we don't have enough bugs for that yet. But if you think another
> category would be helpful AND you want to act as "Initial owner" of that
> module please say so and it will be added. (Initial owner just means
> that the bug is automatically assigned to someone who will act as the
> first person to evaluate the bug.)

The most obvious suggestion that springs to mind is a separate projects
for the generics branch (particularly because of the different branch).
Although I'm not sure this is that worthwhile at present -- one for the
future if the branch remains for a while, I guess.

> I currently need to explicitly set some bits to make people be able to
> edit all fields of a bug. Everybody can open new bugs and add comments
> to a bug. If you want to be able to confirm, edit or close a bug report
> please send me the email address as you registered it with bugzilla and
> I will add you to the admin group.

I'd be grateful if you do so with my account under this address
( address@hidden )

> A nice new addition is that if you commit a fix and mention a bug number
> in the ChangeLog/commit message bugzilla will be automatically notified.
> Just mark your commit message as follows:
>
>         2005-07-28  Mark Wielaard  <address@hidden>
>
>         Fixes PR classpath/45 and bug #14, plus PR 12345.
>       * java/lang/ClassLoader.java (loadSubversive): New magic method.
>
> There is a script on developer.classpath.org that recieves all
> commit-classpath messages and that extract the bug numbers given to
> update the corresponding bugzilla messages. The bug number mentioned
> needs to match the following perl regexp:

Again, nice one :)