RE: Patches to java.util.zip by Christian Schlichtherle

From: Christian Schlichtherle
Subject: RE: Patches to java.util.zip by Christian Schlichtherle
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:05:54 +0200

Hi everyone,

> Unfortunately, we cannot add additional public constructors,
> but I would suggest adding a system property to control the
> encoding used by our zip implementation. By default we should
> be compatible with the JDK, but this would allow applications
> and/or users to override the encoding to be compatible with
> the rest of the world.

this would be an all-or-nothing-approach, i.e. you could have CP437 for
either all ZIP* objects or none. The constructors however allow you to
define this on a case by case basis, e.g. using CP437 for any file ending
with a .zip suffix and UTF-8 for any file ending with a .jar suffix, which
is the most reasonable general approach to deal with the encoding issue in
my personal opinion (which is arguable however).

For my personal education: What's wrong about adding constructors? The
result would still be backward compatible to the JDK source, so I think this
would make up a good solution. This is also what people have often requested
from Sun if you look at the bug tracker thread on this topic.

With best regards,
Christian