Re: J2ME classes in GNU classpath

From: Clemens Eisserer
Subject: Re: J2ME classes in GNU classpath
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 13:32:55 +0000

> Yeah, i know this project since this j2me discussion on harmony-dev.
> But i though this is just a emulator and not the CLDC/MIDP classes (i
> have no clue about that sutff :-)?

Well its an "emulator" (basically simulating the look and feel of a
mobile) and includes classes that implement a J2ME interface on top of
J2SE classes (awt or swt).
So if you run a game inside this "emulator" it runs on the JVM
runnning the virtual mobile and its just using the J2ME wrapper
classes. (Well, its no emulator but an API wrapper).
I had a look at their implementation and in my opinion the whole stuff
is pretty well abstracted (thats how they support AWT and awt as
basis) and has nice design ideas.
It shouln't be too hard to replace e.g. the AWT-Canvas implementation
by a native one, since for running it on small deviceses AWT may have
too much memory/cpu overhead.

> Und zurueck, wohin auch immer.
Steyr ;-)

lg Clemens