Re: Comment to 0.19

From: Roman Kennke
Subject: Re: Comment to 0.19
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 23:16:03 +0100

Hi there,

> What me a little bit surprised is, that GNU Classpath becomes the same bugs
> as Suns Java.
> In the "Viewport"-Demo or how it was called, there existing now the bug (or
> isn't it one?) that after the button moved to left or right, on the places
> where the button isn't any more, still parts of it exists as lines. (But
> with Suns Java it looks like the same).

Honestly I don't know if this is can be considered a bug. The reason why
Classpath behaves like the JDK now in this case is that I implemented
the same scrolling algorithm as in the JDK (based on a double buffer).
It is simply not defined what should be visible if the viewport is
scrolled 'outside' the view area. What you see there is the old content
of the double buffer.

> The same is with the shadow under the scrollbar. You can see it in the
> Scroolbar-Demo of the Swing-Demos. Under the Scrollbar of the top left,
> there is under the Scrollbar a shadow. But under the buttons of the
> Scrollbar there isn't one. And I think the shadow is wrong there. But thats
> the same like in Suns Java. There existing the same bug - since Swing 1.0.3.
> And I have critisized it very often. But now GNU Classpath doing the same.

Again, I wouldn't think that this is a bug but merely a replication of
the original Metal L&F.

> Additional to bugs, which Sun have, GNU Classpath have its own bugs. I have
> seen, that the AWT don't recognice, when the window was moved.
> For example the Listing2902 at
> http://www.mycore.de/library/go-to-java-2/html/k100181.html
> works only right at start. But if you move the window, the program don't
> recogniczed it.
> Only to mention it. Because without completly functional AWT, a completly
> functional Swing isn't possible.

Please file this as a bug report if you haven't already.

Thanks for your comments. If you feel we should fix the first bug (that
would be possible since we are talking about a not-specified area),
please also file a bug report.

/Roman