Re: Proposal: Graphics2D rewrite branch

From: David Gilbert
Subject: Re: Proposal: Graphics2D rewrite branch
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 20:35:00 +0000

Thomas Fitzsimmons wrote:

Hi,

I'd like to propose a new branch in the GNU Classpath CVS repository:
graphics2d-rewrite.  Patches to this branch should be sent to
address@hidden with a subject line prefix of [g2d rewrite].
Commit policy is the same as GNU Classpath trunk.

On this branch I'd like to do several things:

1) Make Graphics2D the default
2) Remove Graphics
3) Split Graphics2D according to
http://developer.classpath.org/mediation/ClasspathGraphicsImagesText

Once these items are done and tested to work as well or better than the
current Graphics/Graphics2D implementations, I'll merge the branch into
trunk and continue development there.

Any objections?

Tom
I'm looking forward to seeing this work proceed. I can certainly help with testing, but I'm not likely to be much help with the actual implementation (I know so little about the non-Java bits of GNU Classpath).

Regarding 3) and BufferedImages, I think I recall Sven saying he was mistaken about the DataBuffer classes. As far as I could tell (from writing some Mauve tests for them) they use real Java arrays. And that makes using Cairo for BufferedImages more difficult, doesn't it?

Regards,

Dave