Re: RFC: merging GNU Crypto and Jessie

From: Casey Marshall
Subject: Re: RFC: merging GNU Crypto and Jessie
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 20:14:11 -0800

On Dec 8, 2005, at 10:32 AM, Mark Wielaard wrote:

Hi Casey,

On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 23:42 -0800, Casey Marshall wrote:
I propose that we

   - Rename the root package 'gnu.crypto' to 'gnu.javax.crypto' in
GNU Crypto, and merge the current CVS sources into Classpath (not
under external/). We then put GNU Crypto into a kind of "stasis"
mode, and continue to develop these sources in Classpath.
   - Rename the root package 'org.metastatic.jessie' to
'gnu.javax.net.ssl' in Jessie, and merge the current sources. Then,
I'll stop developing that branch on its own.

We can then also merge other parts of GNU Crypto to projects where
they make sense; its testsuite can go into Mauve (it was written to
use (a possibly old version of) Mauve's own test harness classes),
and the various tools can go into cp-tools.

I think most Classpath hackers think this is a good idea

Yeah I believe this is a good idea.

I know GNU Crypto doesn't have any external dependencies. Jessie has an
external dependency on JZlib which is in principle OK, but having
multiple zip implementations in the tree is not perfect. Do you have an
idea whether it would be possible to hook Jessie to the (internal)
util.zip implementation we have? One complication is that a couple of
projects based on GNU Classpath have another util.zip implementation
based on zlib.

Yeah, it's simple to remove the dependency on jzlib. In fact, there is already an alternative crypto engine in jessie that uses javax.crypto/java.util.zip instead of gnu.crypto/jzlib. Just removing the latter version should suffice.