lists.gnu.org and savannah.gnu.org (CVS) updates

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: lists.gnu.org and savannah.gnu.org (CVS) updates
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 19:47:24 +0100

Hi all,

I talked to the GNU system administrators about the slowness of the
mailinglists at times. They told me they are working on a completely new
setup. Today I received the latest FRee Software Foundation Bulletin
which has an article about the cool new machines that have been bought,
how to install LinuxBIOS on it and what they are planning to do with
them. I haven't seen this online yet, but if you become an FSF associate
member you will get the paper version [1]. I'll let you know when it is
online. It might take some time (weeks/months) till the whole
infrastructure has moved though. It will reduce the amount of spam we
need to moderate considerably and make the lists more snappy.

Also savannah has seen some updates.
- You can now use rsync to get a full copy of the CVS repostitory:
  http://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=4142
- There is support for GNU Arch
  http://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=4165
  (I don't think we want to switch to that, but when subversion support
   hits savannah we might want to use that. No timeline yet on when/if
   that will be available though.)
- All CVS services have now been put on cvs.savannah.gnu.org
  http://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=4168

You will notice that last one when running CVS update. It will explain
that you have to update the Root of your CVS working directory. If you
the cvsutils installed then you can easily switch to the new CVS
location by running this in your CVS working copy:
cvschroot <savannah-user-name>@cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/classpath

[1] Follow this link http://member.fsf.org/join?referrer=6 and make me
happy! I only need 2 more referrers to receive this great gift:
http://www.fsf.org/associate/referral-2004