Re: JUnit

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: JUnit
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 02:47:09 +0100

Roman Kennke wrote:
Hi,

Am Samstag, den 24.12.2005, 01:05 +0100 schrieb Dalibor Topic:

Raif S. Naffah wrote:

hello all,

soon the GNU Crypto classes will be moving to Classpath. i thought now is the right time to bring this subject since it makes it easier for those involved in this work.

the proposal is to port the GNU Crypto Mauve tests to use JUnit instead. this would make it easier to test using an IDE such as the Native Eclipse.

is this idea worth discussing or should we consider that for the forseeable future Mauve only is the test framework for GNU Classpath?

Hi Raif,

Given that the majority (all?) of current tests in Mauve is under the GPL, without a single copyright holder, I assume, and the license of JUnit is incompatible with the GPL ... I doubt that a wholesale rewrite of Mauve to JUnit would be easy for the moment. GPL3 may fix the prime reason for the incompatiblity, though.

Wasn't there a GPL(-compatible) implementation of the JUnit API out
there? I don't remember the name of this piece of software, but I think,
somebody from Classpath once pointed me to that (Micheal?)

Right, I recall that it was packaged for debian. The code is at http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/freenet/Contrib/junit/ and hes been written by Oskar to fix that pesky licensing issue by having a GPLd implementation of the JUnit framework.

I'll give it a spin with some JUnit tests to see how it works.

cheers,
dalibor topic