Re: compiling Classpath on cigwin/win

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: compiling Classpath on cigwin/win
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 11:30:20 +0100

Hi Enrico,

If you can figure out why jikes hangs, either by adding -verbose to the
Makefile or by stracing or running it under gdb (if available under
cygwin) that would be interesting.

On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 09:41 +0100, Enrico Migliore wrote:
> The only one left is the Eclipse compiler. When I try:
>
>         ./configure --with-ecj
>
> the configure script tells me that "ecj is not found"
> ECJ is a class, embedded in the following Eclipse plugin:
>
>          org.eclipse.jdt.core.compiler
> **
> and therefore is not an ordinary application.
>
> Can somebody tell me how to instruct the configure script
> to use the ECJ compiler?

On builder.classpath.org we bootstrap the ECJ compiler with GCJ. I am
not 100% sure you can do this with an older gcj (builder uses gcc from
cvs), but if you can try then this is what should work:

cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/home/eclipse co \
    org.eclipse.jdt.core

cd org.eclipse.jdt.core

find compiler batch -name \*.java | xargs gcj \
    --main=org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.batch.Main \
    -Icompiler -Ibatch -o ecj

Then you have a native ecj executable that can be used to bootstrap
classpath.

> Has anybody ever successfully built GNU/Classpath on Cygwin?

Yes in the past, but clearly none of the core developers are using
cygwin regularly. So it has bitrotten a bit. Sorry and thanks for trying
to get it working.