classpathx-discuss

[Classpathx-discuss] Updating gnujaxp and gjdoc

From: Arnaud Vandyck
Subject: [Classpathx-discuss] Updating gnujaxp and gjdoc
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:51:33 +0200

Hi there!

I've been working on gnujaxp and it is now merged with libxmlj, so we
have a free and complete jaxp implementation. There is still some
problems so be aware that:

1° documentation has not been updated yet!

2° libxmlj is pure GPL! So I think this affect gnujaxp if your license
   is not pure gpl. I did contact Julian and asked him to modify the
   license to GPL + linking exception

3° be aware that I also asked David, Andrew and Julian to change the
   copyright holder to the FSF.

When the license problem will be solved, I'll send a mail to the lists
and make the first gnujaxp official release.

The side effect for Debian is that this is now possible to have gjdoc in
a better shape...

I've been working on gjdoc... the bad news is gjdoc only runs with kaffe
(well, half a bad news), the good news is gjdoc just works!.. only with
packages in main. gjdoc can now go to main.

libgnujaxp-java has been uploaded; gjdoc package is ready and (if Mark
has no objection) I'll upload it as soon as the new gnujaxp will be
available in debian (it's a new upstream AND there is a new
libgnujaxp-jni package, so it may take some time).

For those who just can't wait, add these lines to your
/etc/apt/sources.list file:
deb http://people.debian.org/~avdyk/myjava/ ./
deb-src http://people.debian.org/~avdyk/myjava/ ./

If you are not on powerpc, you'll have to rebuild libgnujaxp-java
because of jni:

# apt-get install devscripts cdbs gjdoc gcj libgcj4-dev \
  jikes-classpath fastjar docbook-to-man libxslt1.1 libxslt1-dev
$ apt-get source libgnujaxp-java
$ ( cd libgnujaxp-java-0.0.cvs20040416 ; debuild -rfakeroot -uc -us )
# dpkg -i libgnujaxp*.deb

if you are on powerpc, just:
# apt-get install libgnujaxp-java libgnujaxp-jni

and then, for every arches:
# apt-get install gjdoc

Last important thing:

I have a secret plan for gnujaxp: make bindings from jaxp to
libxml2... but Chris Burdess <address@hidden> already did it! Chris sent me
the code, I'll be busy this month but I really want to go further with
gnujaxp and review and merge his code to gnujaxp as soon as
possible.

Many many many thanks to Chris!

Cheers to every one, thanks for some testing and bug reports:
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=classpathx

- --
  .''`.
 : :' :rnaud