classpathx-discuss

[Classpathx-discuss] GNU JAF and JavaMail 1.0 release available

From: Chris Burdess
Subject: [Classpathx-discuss] GNU JAF and JavaMail 1.0 release available
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 19:56:37 +0100

Hello,

The first full releases of the GNU JAF and JavaMail packages are now available
for download from ftp.gnu.org/gnu/classpathx. These are complete clean-room
implementations distributed under the GPL.

GNU JavaMail depends on Classpath inetlib version 1.0, which should be
available shortly, or current inetlib CVS.

You can retrieve the 1.0 version of any of these packages from Savannah CVS
with the "release-1-0" tag.

A note on versions. These packages correspond to Sun's versions as follows:

  activation: 1.0
  mail      : 1.3

All code compiled against the public interfaces of these versions of Sun's
libraries (or any point release) will compile against the GNU versions.

Performance of the GNU frameworks should be slightly better, as we use
unsynchronized collections internally. This means that we only support Java 2,
version 1.1 is not supported.

Additionally, GNU JavaMail ships with a number of providers for which there
is no Sun analogue, including NNTP, mbox, and Maildir providers. The IMAP,
POP3, and SMTP providers support TLS out of the box and can use any available
SASL mechanism for authentication and QOP.

Please report any bugs, feature enhancements etc to the Savannah project page:

  http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/classpathx
--
Chris Burdess