classpathx-xml

Re: [Classpathx-xml] Note on JDK compatibility with GNU JAXP XPath

From: Chris Burdess
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-xml] Note on JDK compatibility with GNU JAXP XPath
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 14:31:04 +0000

Phil Shaw wrote:
Several of the new XPath classes that Chris has contributed cannot be
compiled with the Sun 1.3 JDK because they use
java.util.LinkedHashSet, introduced in Java 1.4. The affected classes
are:

gnu.xml.xpath.Expr
gnu.xml.xpath.Step
gnu.xml.xpath.UnionExpr

I am not aware this project has any specific compatibility objectives
with Sun, but the project home page does use examples relating to Sun
1.2 JDK and above in the documentation section.

http://www.gnu.org/software/classpathx/jaxp/jaxp.html

Is it time a policy was adopted on this?

Sure, I'd like to hear discussion on this.

For the record, I am concerned that we maintain compatibility with GNU Classpath and with all known free Java compilers. GNU JAXP will shortly be merged with GNU Classpath, and the assumption will be that java.util.LinkedHashSet will be available, as it is in the same codebase.

There is also the issue of DOM compatibility: earlier applications built with DOM Level 1 and 2 may not compile with DOM Level 3, since new abstract methods were introduced in Level 3. GNU JAXP implements JAXP 1.3, which uses DOM Level 3, so older applications may fail to compile with GNU JAXP. Parts of GNU Classpath that do not implement DOM Level 3 are being upgraded as we speak in preparation for the merge!
--
Chris Burdess