cons-discuss

NT hard links

From: Kolarik, Tony
Subject: NT hard links
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 11:40:17 -0400

A while back Gary Oberbrunner mentioned problems with emacs bringing up the
wrong files on NT. If emacs doesn't do anything tricky (or stupid, like
msdev) I'd assume that writing to a Link()'ed file would work as on UNIX.

I'd always figured that cons just copied files on NT, but there are win32
calls to create hard links and my version of cons is definitely creating
them.

Do later versions of perl (mine is ActiveState 616) have more win32 support
or something?  Various docs on CreateHardLink() and BackupWrite() say that
hard links only work on NTFS.  Maybe people are using FAT, FAT32, or HPFS?

If others verify cons based NT/NTFS hard links, I think its worth noting in
the doc in case its a consideration in setting up build environments. Maybe
here, in the 2.0.2 doc's only mention of hard links?

Again, Cons has taken care of the details for you. In particular, you will
notice that all the builds are done using source files and object files from
the build directory. For example, F<build/world/world.o> is compiled from
F<build/world/world.c>, and F<export/include/world.h> is installed from
F<build/world/world.h>. This is accomplished on most systems
(including NT with NTFS)
by the simple expedient of ``hard'' linking the required files
from each source directory into the appropriate build directory.
 -- Tony K.