cons-discuss

Re: Problems with Depends...

From: Johan Holmberg
Subject: Re: Problems with Depends...
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 10:22:28 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, Eric Brown wrote:

> so I want to make sure that HomeServ.dll gets built before the files that
> include it.  One file in particular is ABDlg.cpp.
>
> I've tried
>
> Depends $local, "ABDlg.cpp", "$BIN/HomeServ.dll";
> and
> Depends $local, "ABDlg.obj",  "$BIN/HomeServ.dll";
> and
> Depends $local, "inc/PcService.h", "$BIN/HomeServ.dll";
> all to no avail.

I don't think you should have a ","  between $local and the next
argument. The "indirect object syntax" is used in all
cons-documentation. I'm surprised that your synax work, but maybe
Perl is "smart" enough to figure out what you mean :-)

Without knowing anything about #import and your problem in detail,
I would guess that

        Depends $local "ABDlg.obj",  "$BIN/HomeServ.dll";

would be what you want. This would tell cons to rebuild "ABDlg.obj"
whenever the DLL changes (you must of course also have another rule
telling what command to use, but I assume that you already have
that).

> Running cons -pa never seems to result in any dlls appearing in the
> dependency lists.

"-pa" only prints the targets, and the commands used to produce
those targets. I think you should use the "-d" option to see
dependencies:

            $ cons -d .
            $ cons -d -pa .

/Johan Holmberg