cons-discuss

Re: Signature configurability

From: Brad Garcia
Subject: Re: Signature configurability
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 12:50:06 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Steven Knight wrote:

> The question is, "What should the interface be?"

I like your solution.  It appears to be very easy to use.

I am wondering if it would be better to specify this within
the environment.  Maybe someone uses two different C compilers
for different parts of the build.

> Note that, as I currently envision it, this would be for derived-file
> signature calculation only.  There's actually a parallel issue with
> source files, which currently have their content re-calculated each time
> even though there might be a usable signature in the .consign file.  It
> might be worthwhile to have source file signatures be configurable as
> well, but I don't have a good user interface in mind.

Strawman:

How about SourceSignature?

    SourceSignature '*' => qw(content);

would give current behavior, while

    SourceSignature '*' => qw(consign content);

would be the only other useful option, I would imagine.

Brad Garcia