cons-discuss

RE: Signature configurability: documentation review

From: Gary Oberbrunner
Subject: RE: Signature configurability: documentation review
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 12:44:20 -0500

The new doc looks great,Steven!  I'm psyched for 2.3; it'll be nice for me
to be able to drop in new versions of cons again without always having to
reapply my patches. :-)

As for the regexp/glob issue, I suppose I'd prefer to make it a regexp; I
think having something that *looks* like a Unix glob but behaves differently
would just introduce confusion.  (And besides, nobody uses cpio anymore
anyway ;-).

The only doc comment I have is in this section:
 >  If, however, the file already exists, Cons next compares the
 >  modification timestamp of the file against the timestamp value in the
 >  .consign file. If the timestamps match, Cons compares the newly-computed
 >  build signature against the build signature in the .consign file. If the
 >  build signatures do not match, the derived file is rebuilt.

I'd change the last line to:

 >  timestamps do not match or the build signatures do not match,
 >  the derived file is rebuilt.

Basically just say that if the timestamps don't match, the signature is
ignored and the target is assumed out of date.

PS: the md5::debug library looks like it could be really useful for those
situations where you really can't tell why something's getting built or not,
even though it's a bit low-level.

Gary Oberbrunner                address@hidden
GenArts, Inc.                   Tel: 617-492-2888
8 Clinton Street                Fax: 617-492-2852
Cambridge, MA 02139 USA         http://web.genarts.com