cons-discuss

RE: PATH & Perl 5.6 on Win32 ?

From: Johan Holmberg
Subject: RE: PATH & Perl 5.6 on Win32 ?
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 21:54:47 +0200 (MEST)

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Eric Brown wrote:

> It's definitely a bug in ActiveState Perl 5.6 (up to and including build
> 623).  If you want, I can send you a patch to the Perl sources that fixes
> the problem.
>
> I've sent a message to ActiveState, and it's in their bug system (#1342),
> but in 4 months, it hasn't been assigned to a developer to fix.

Nice to know that I was chasing a real bug ...
But I'm *very* surprised that such a serious bug can stay unfixed in
the latest version of Perl.

Not so nice for Cons on Win32.
Yes, I'm interested in the patch you have.

But I don't think we can't expect every user of Cons on Win32 to
build their own Perl. So I guess we should find a way for Cons to
cope with the faulty Perl version.

The solutions I can think of are:

- implement the PATH searching in Cons, and call system with an
  full pathname to the binary

- use Win32::Process instead of "system"

- explicitly call "cmd.exe" with the real command line as argument
  (I'm not sure if this would work, but from the behaviour of the
  bug I guess so)

Any other ideas ?

/Johan Holmberg