cons-discuss

Re: Fwd: Suggestion about derived files and commands

From: Wayne Scott
Subject: Re: Fwd: Suggestion about derived files and commands
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 08:54:54 -0700

From: Dominique Dumont <address@hidden>
> Furthermore, the "memoize like" feature has one other benefit:
> If cons recognize that the derived file to be produced is the same as
> the current derived file, there not need to follow the dependancies
> anymore for this file.
>
> This could save quite some time in some cases.

This is the benefit I was refering to with the derived object
signature patch.

Yes avoiding storing two copies in the cache is a good thing, but
cons' cache right now is dead simple.  Extra complexity is a bad
thing.  Also since the cache only stores hard links, the only thing in
the cache that lives longer that a day or so are files that are
currently being used by some developer.

-Wayne