cons-discuss

Re: Suggestion about derived files and commands

From: Frank Thomas
Subject: Re: Suggestion about derived files and commands
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 10:04:06 +0200

Am Freitag, 27. April 2001 um 18:12 schrieb Brad Garcia:

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Steven Knight wrote:

Files could be stored in the cache in file names that match their
content signature, not their build signature, and we'd have an index
file that would map the build signatures to the right underlying cached
file.  I'm sure that would save a lot of people a lot of space.

Or, instead of some index file, you could have files in the cache
whose names are the build signature, but whose contents are the
content signature.

This way, all the files are in the cache, and no new directory
structure needs to be developed in the cache.

Good idea, on unix one could even use symlinks from source-signature to the object-signature. By using individual files or symlinks we also circumvent problems with locking the index file.

Frank