cons-discuss

RE: Object & changing target of CXXCOM

From: Gary Oberbrunner
Subject: RE: Object & changing target of CXXCOM
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:52:11 -0400

Steven Allen writes:

 > I guess I think of it as I should be able to say
 >
 > Objects $env "file.cpp", 'foo.cpp';
 >    or
 > Objects $env "file.cpp" => "../../obj/file.o",
 >               "foo.cpp" => "../../obj/foo.o";

I'd also like to be able to do this (the above syntax doesn't work, but
something could be worked out -- maybe just for one object at a time).  Just
yesterday I wanted to build a little test program using a few of my sources,
built with different cmd line options (-DTEST_MODE); the obvious thing of
just defining a new environment with -DTEST_MODE in it and using Program
doesn't work, because the objects are built twice with different options.
So I figured ok, I'll just build those objects into a temp subdir... Hmm.
Objects can't do that.  I ended up Installing the sources into the temp
subdir and building there.  Worked OK, but it would've been simpler if I
could've named the object file of foo.c as, say, foo-test.obj, and not
worried about the temp dir and the extra Install cmds.  Link might've worked
but I didn't try it.  Maybe I shouldn't have said anything until I did.  Oh
well, too late.

Happy weekend all.

-- Gary Oberbrunner