cons-discuss

Re: Are there Windows users of cons?

From: Johan Holmberg
Subject: Re: Are there Windows users of cons?
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 18:34:54 +0200 (MEST)

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Zachary Deretsky wrote:

> Are there other Windows users of cons?

I use Cons regularly on NT4.
And Cons on Win32 has definitely become better during the time I've
used it. So I think it is a bit strange to say

> There is a clear message from the cons maintainers:
> "WINDOWS USERS GET LOST!"

Of course there is still room for improvement, but the things that
has bothered me most lately are problems with ActivePerl rather than
Cons itself (the "PATH", and "Ctrl-C" problems I've mentioned before
on the list).

I've never used the Link command in Cons on NT, so I guess I've
missed those problems. I've also written the extension module
Cons::Plus that Gary Oberbrunner mentioned (nice to know there is at
least *one* user out there beside myself :-) ).
That module solved most important problems I had with Cons on Win32:
    - to find the PATH to Visual C++ automatically
    - to support several languages beside C/C++ (RC-files, ...)
    - place .OBJ and .EXE files in different directories without
      relying on the "Link" command.

I haven't used Greg Spencers modules, but I'm curious to know what
the current problems are with those modules:

 1) doesn't ConsExtensions.pl work at all with current versions of
    Cons ?

 2) if not, are changes needed in ConsExtensions.pl only, or are
    changes needed in Cons itself ?

 3) is ConsExtensions.pl "abandoned" by Greg, or has he plans to
    maintain it (if any Cons specific problems in 2) are solved)

> Please respond to this message and request speedy incorporation of existing
> Windows-related fixes into the current code plus real-time Windows support
> in the future.
>

>From looking at Greg's code, it seems that a lot of "knowledge"
(eg. about Visual C++) is built into that code.

I don't think it is reasonable to *require* that all this should be
"supported", especially if the maintainers are not using that code
themselves.

Wouldn't it be enough if ConsExtensions.pl could continue to "live"
as an extension ?  But that would of course require that someone
"maintained" it after Gregs initial release (see question 3 above).

/Johan Holmberg