cons-discuss

Visual Studio integration

From: Johan Holmberg
Subject: Visual Studio integration
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 23:21:01 +0200 (MEST)

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Zachary Deretsky wrote:

> I am supporting 25 engineers in two countries which use Visual Studio for
> development. The build button invokes cons and Conscript files are the same
> for the interactive and batch builds on Windows and on unix.

Interesting to hear.
We use Visual C++ to build our products (C/C++ compilers by the way).
I have tried to introduce Cons by first using it to compile
"target code" (eg. when cross-compiling the C/C++ runtime libraries
for our compilers).

But to introduce Cons instead of (or together with) Visual Studio
is something I haven't solved yet. I have been experimenting with
generating Visual Studio projects from a build description on
another format.

One of my current ideas is to express the "parameters" (only the
ones I'm interested in varying) of Visual Studio DSP files as an
XML-file (or perhaps just a Perl datastructure), and then use
Template Toolkit (a wonderful package) to generate the actual DSP
file.

I think such a solution would be much "cleaner" than the"DSPGenerator.pl"
with all its "print" statements, hardcoded values etc.
In fact, how the code "look" in ConsExtensions.pm/DSPGenerator.pl is
one of the main reasons I have never bothered to trying to use it.

/Johan Holmberg