[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 16:30:18 -0500
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:0.9.6) Gecko/20011120
Bob Sidebotham wrote:
It's called evolution, folks. Cons was a big advance over make, and
arguably has some advantages over jam, which was the source of its
original inspiration. Steven and his team have taken it to the next
level and are doing a superb job of crafting a beautiful tool. Cons
will continue to exist for a while, but I, for one, would rather see
Steven & his friends put their available energy into scons.
I'd like to take this opportunity to acknowledge all the hard work that
many people on this list have put into making cons a useful tool.
Steven and Rajesh both deserve special recognition for all they've
Hear, hear! I just got done with some heavy Conscripting today, and
have to say once again that cons makes a lot of things trivial.
[I for one am glad to have it in perl, which I know pretty well now, but
as long as the tool and scripts are written in SOME common scripting
language rather than being designed from scratch, I will be happy.]
It does seem that Scons is not up to cons's maturity level yet, so I'm
not about to jump over, but since it seems likely that many of us will
do that some day, how should we approach making cons enhancements, like
the modularization stuff people have been talking about recently? And
parallel builds, which scons already has? Should we just wait and put
the effort into scons, which might take a long time but have a bigger
payoff, or should we keep patching and extending cons? I've got a
fairly large investment in cons and ancillary perl stuff for it, and
will be happy to keep working on it for a while.
ps: how many folks on this list know python? I don't, yet...
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Gary Oberbrunner address@hidden
GenArts, Inc. Tel: 617-492-2888
8 Clinton Street Fax: 617-492-2852
Cambridge, MA 02139 USA http://web.genarts.com
RE: Cons not working as advertized and other remarks, Charles Crain, 2001/12/14
- Cons not working as advertized and other remarks, Nadim Khemir, 2001/12/14
- Re: Cons not working as advertized and other remarks, Brad Garcia, 2001/12/14
- RE: Cons not working as advertized and other remarks and boddy new commers, Nadim Khemir, 2001/12/14
- RE: Cons not working as advertized and other remarks and boddy new commers, Steven Knight, 2001/12/14
- Evolution, Bob Sidebotham, 2001/12/14
- Re: Evolution,
Gary Oberbrunner <=
- RE: Evolution, Charles Crain, 2001/12/14
- pre-post actions ?, Nadim Khemir, 2001/12/17
- Re: pre-post actions ?, Steven Knight, 2001/12/17
- Re: pre-post actions ?, Gary Oberbrunner, 2001/12/17
- Re: Evolution, Brad Garcia, 2001/12/16
- RE: Evolution, Alex Jacques, 2001/12/17
- RE: Evolution, Siu-Tong Hui, 2001/12/17