cons-discuss

Is Repository broken?

From: Nadim Khemir
Subject: Is Repository broken?
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 11:28:37 +0100

Hi all,

1/ I complained of not being able to have Link and repository work together.
I did run more tests. After spending hours in the debugger try to figure out
what the problem is, I finally decided to have the simplest example possible

C:/Documents and Settings/nadim/Desktop/cons-test/simple repository test
¦   construct.cons
¦       ******************************************************
¦       # couldn't come with a simpler construct
¦       $CONS = new cons(ENV => {%ENV});
¦
¦       Repository 'c:/Documents and Settings/nadim/Desktop/cons-test/=> ¦
=>simple repository test/repository' ;
¦
¦       $CONS->Objects('main.c') ;
¦       ******************************************************
¦   main.c
¦
+---repository
        main.c

>cons -f construc.cons main.obj -d
Target main.obj: main.c
Checking main.obj
  Checking main.c
Rebuilding main.obj: out of date.
cl /nologo /c main.c /Fomain.obj
main.c

This is fine, now I rename main.c to xxmain.c and expect cons to get main.c
from the repository.

>cons -f construc.cons main.obj -d
Target main.obj: main.c
Checking main.obj
  Checking main.c
Rebuilding main.obj: out of date.
cl /nologo /c main.c\repository\main.c /Fomain.obj
main.c
fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: 'main.c\repository\main.c': No
such file or directory
cons.pl: *** [main.obj] Error 2
cons.pl: errors constructing main.obj

?? cl /nologo /c main.c\repository\main.c /Fomain.obj
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                 where is this coming from?

I do no complain without testing so I spend 4 hours in the debugger (again)
trying to understand the bowels of cons. The problem seems to be in
dir::path.  (which works as programmed but not as intended, which I can't
comment as nothig describes how it should work)

Not strange I get errors with Link and Repository if Repository does not
work.

Now I would have liked to run cons on a test suit or on the examples from
cons cookbook ;-)

I use : $CVS_id = '$Id: cons.pl,v 1.173 2001/11/05 17:29:24 knight Exp $ ';

This version fixed the problem with dependencies in Linked directories.
Isn't it a pity to let people download a version with errors when a better
version exists!

I am very surprised, I can conceive that the writer of cons did not have a
test suit or even missed some tests but isn't anyone using the advanced
features of cons?

2/ cygwin problem( response to Johan Holmberg).
Sure cmd.exe is not much better still it is a little better as it reconizes
quotes properly. (I might have an old version of cywin but not that old)

here is a bat file:
@echo off
echo %1
echo %2
echo %3
echo %4

run in cmd.exe W2K:
>x a b c d

>x a b=c d
Not good but we did not quote a thing.

>x a 'b=c' d
'b
c'
Not good but those are not the right kind of quotes

>x a "b=c" d
"b=c"
echo is off
Boring to have to use double quotes but we get the right result.

Now cygwin using the same bat file
$./x.bat a b c d
OK.

$./x.bat a b=c d
Wrong.

$./x.bat a 'b=c' d
Still wrong.

$./x.bat a "b=c" d
Still wrong.

$ ./x.bat a "b= c" d
'c:\Documents' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Yeah!

$ ./x.bat a 'b = c' d
'c:\Documents' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

This is a head cracker.This is exactly what I mailled last week and proposed
a fix for. I works fine when I start cons but not in this somple example.