cons-discuss

RE: Hmmm.... future of cons?

From: Steven Knight
Subject: RE: Hmmm.... future of cons?
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 09:24:11 -0500 (CDT)

Hey Nadim--

I agree with pretty much everything you say here.

> 1/ the problem is with the crap release that one downloads from the home
> page
>
> 2/ The problem is with the person taking care of the web page (or the lack
> of care) that leaves a broken version there for months even if _many_ want
> it changed (It scares most away I'd say)
        .
        .
        .
> I think Vasek question is very pertinent. Is Cons alive, who runs the
> project, who cares about the question asked, will the web site be updated
> some day soon, How do join our efforts?
>
> Cons is a sick open source project, everyone owns it so nobody cares.
        .
        .
        .
> What do we do now? We could discuss this for ages and come nowhere. Either
> one is in or out. I am in and I want cons to live (in this form or another).
> I someone feels like running the project please speak out.

I especially agree with this.

When this thread started, I sent a message to Rajesh (who, as well as
being the project lead and interface to the FSF, owns the keys to the
web site).  I got a brief reply from him; he's currently out of the
country with very spotty email access, and can't address anything until
he returns.  (I don't know when.)  In the meantime:

Is there any consensus on whether the Cons community out there wants the
project to revive and get back on track?  Or has Cons run its course,
and should be allowed to rest in peace?

If people do want Cons to continue, then Nadim is exactly right:  Cons
needs one or more project lead(s) who have the time and interest to
really run the project, or else it needs to be formally abandoned.

A lot of the pieces are in place for revival.  2.3.1 could be released
with a minimum of work.  Now that the FSF has savannah.gnu.org set
up, the Cons project page there would be a very valuable resource for
managing the project (based on my experience using SourceForge to manage
SCons).  I also checked in a redesigned Cons web site almost a year ago;
this could be rolled out hand-in-hand with the announcement of a revived
Cons project.

I would offer--I have the interest--but I have my hands full with SCons,
and it wouldn't be fair to either project for me to try to do both.

I will, however, more than gladly help anyone who wants to step up and
lead Cons, and try to make for a smooth transition.  I'd also be very
willing to donate server space at baldmt.com if moving the official web
site is necessary or wise.

But the key missing piece is someone to actually pick up the reins.  Any
takers?  Any comments?

        --SK