cons-discuss

RE: Hmmm.... future of cons?

From: akolarik
Subject: RE: Hmmm.... future of cons?
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 11:43:40 -0400

I get the feeling that cons _development_ has about run its course.  Even the original creator, Bob Sidebotham, as much as said SCons was the future and cons the past.

Although people have a lot of time and effort invested the only requests for _new features_ have been for parallel builds, and no one on the list seems to be itching to do the work. Maybe because the general feeling is that the real development is happening on SCons?

I think a useful goal for someone taking over cons would be to get cons into a good resting state - fix the current web site, clarify the doc, integrate w/consplus, etc.  IMHO having a stable non-make solution till SCons gets fully up to speed is a worthwhile goal.  Rewriting it for clarity doesn't really seem all that useful to me - is there a real need for both a new perl and python solution?  The only real work being done is on SCons - whether that was a good call or not - and I assume thats where the new features will be going.

 -- Tony K.