cons-discuss

RE: Command Dependecies broken

From: Steven Allen
Subject: RE: Command Dependecies broken
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 14:27:26 -0400

This seems to be a pretty fundumental cons problem to me.  With this
dependecy bug, cons 2.3 is unusable, in my opinion.

It seems to boil down to the use of "content signatures" and "build
signatures", which was introduced in cons 2.3.  Does any one know what the
goal was in splitting the 2.2 "signature" into these two pieces?  What it
run time speed? (i.e an attempt to not spend so much time generated Md5
signatures?)  If so, do you know what the two signatures are used for and
when?

I made a brief attempt at repair this bug, but without knowing what the goal
was, it's kinda hard to decide what to do.  Reverting all signatures to just
the full signature causes everything to rebuild all the time.

SteveA