consensus

[GNU/consensus] Blockchains from 1979: Back to the Future!

From: lynx
Subject: [GNU/consensus] Blockchains from 1979: Back to the Future!
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 16:25:46 +0100

Either blockchains are a very stupid invention, because
each Bitcoin transaction consumes as much energy as one
day's worth of an average Western household, or they are
just a simplified case of Merkle trees, an invention that
has been around since 1979.

    https://tonyarcieri.com/on-the-dangers-of-a-blockchain-monoculture

With Tony Arcieri delivering this excellent piece, we are
one step further in unraveling the blockchain hype and
finding out: It is just a hype. If all the blockchain
hypsters now reject the proof-of-work concept, they are
back to the future of 1979.

Understanding the full banality of blockchain, I realized
not only that GNUnet's consensus module is a blockchain by
today's definition - even the way we look at pubsub syncing
in secushare is, many many cost-efficient scalable private
blockchains protected by cover traffic of other GNUnet
applications. More about that at:

    http://secushare.cheettyiapsyciew.onion/pubsub#blockchain
or      http://secushare.org/pubsub#blockchain

Or as Tony puts it, "blockchain" is the new "cloud".

And I haven't even mentioned the structural anti-sociality
of non-taxable currencies that empower the super-rich to
trade with no strings attached at all.

--
  E-mail is public! Talk to me in private using encryption:
         http://loupsycedyglgamf.onion/LynX/