consensus

[GNU/consensus] Free Data

From: marc
Subject: [GNU/consensus] Free Data
Date: Mon, 14 May 2018 11:24:53 +0200

REPORT

(To foster more intial discussion)

To get to a free data standard, i see some philosophical troubles, these are:

0. bring personal data (i.e. mydata.org standards) to a further degree of freedom, since without a more integral freedom, it wouldn't either be really "personal"

1. kind-of dislike on data analytics software (i.e. in akasha.world). patch: i'd like to choose my analysers, perhaps is techy costy, but that is very different than analitics being bad by principles.

2. the monsterizing of the concept of "big data". patch: which ammount of data becomes big-bad?. i'd like to have the option to globalize my data (i.e. this message) while we need developing more optional ways for a more local sharing of data. these 2 options shouldn't be rivalry interpreted.

Big data is not the problem, the problem is not-free data (impying in a part of it that there is not a well local sharing of data either that needs to be developed for dat being free).

btw, i feel that lots of free data could do a lot good to us all (i have an uthopic spec for this too if you want, technouthopical scenarios documentation are good ways to be more "open").

3. if we don't do free data standards, we may be only spectator journalists or criticists reporting issues about data mismanagement,
they can also helps us for each one developing better apps ourselves.

PROPOSAL

(To be further polished)

Free Data Principles

1. Free will: Ownership and Privacy
(ps. can have another name for not being too broad or looking like too much as a neo-darwinist stand, while this is not)

2. Free content: Standards and Categories
(ps. metadata, plurality of design, accesibility, even content types or features)

3. Free analysis: Crawling and Suggestions
(ps. qiyfoundation.org has some docs about it, but easily improvable)

4. Free network: Storage and Service
(ps. secushare.org has a lot of nice standards in their comparission tables)

5. Free culture: Evolution and Sharing
(ps. can be merged within the Free will category, where being able to select the free culture licenses should be a practice in it, or applied to the product provider extraction, manufacture and deliver practices. in this sense, free making could be a better name maybe, since implies extraction and manufacture, and so deliver could be the delivered network itself)

PERSONAL NOTE

Maybe there is some better of this effort somewhere else, idk.

I'd like them this order, since an app could have an offline unnetworked analizer software, and so if it coplies with 1,2,3 it will be free data anyway,

These standards should be metrics for apps, perhaps with some required minimal things to comply with overall or at each category to qualify as metricable, but this is an aesthteic issue (i.e. would 20% of compliance with the free data be free? or we need 50% for then call it minimal free data, where 75% would be quite free data?)

However, this message has a very drafty data, feel free to add your data to it, to make it freer content itself.