[coreutils] Re: cp --reflink

From: Joel Becker
Subject: [coreutils] Re: cp --reflink
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 13:18:09 -0700

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 09:55:49PM +0800, jeff.liu wrote:
> I found cp(1) has an '--reflink' option, at first, I think it is means the
> OCFS2 reflink
> operation(please refer to http://lwn.net/Articles/331576/).
>
> But by checking through the source code, looks it does another thing for
> Btrfs only.

        Yeah, this was the cp folks conflating my reflink patch and
chris's btrfs operation.

> btw, is it acceptable to add the OCFS2 reflink into the cp(1) program, it
> could be implemented very
> similar to the current "clone_file()" function(also call ioctl(2), due to
> reflink(2) does not merged
> into mainline for now), and share the same command line trigger(i.e.
> --reflink=[WHEN]).
> If so, I'd like to write the patch.

        If you can make the cp --reflink option do the btrfs thing for
btrfs and the ocfs2 thing for ocfs2, go for it!

Joel

--

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
        - Mark Twain

Joel Becker
Principal Software Developer
Oracle