[coreutils] Adding xstat support

From: Eric Blake
Subject: [coreutils] Adding xstat support
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 09:49:03 -0600

Here's the best link I could quickly find summarizing the recent kernel discussions:

http://groups.google.com/group/linux.kernel/browse_thread/thread/65f244ddf6829edf/4273489273fb9797?lnk=raot&pli=1

As far as I can tell, the proposed xstat patch has not yet hit the kernel proper, so we don't want to code to an interface that isn't yet set in stone. But once xstat() does hit, it offers the potential to provide some large speedups to programs like ls(1) and find(1), by letting the caller choose how much work the kernel must do rather than forcing the kernel to completely populate struct stat only for the caller to then ignore that work. Meanwhile, cygwin is considering adding support for xstat() once the Linux interface is set in stone, where it has the potential for even more significant speedups.

At any rate, it seems like it should be fairly simple to write a gnulib wrapper for xstat() - on platforms that lack the kernel call, simply call the full stat(). And it also seems like it would be nice to start thinking about which utilities can start being written to use xstat() instead of [l]stat() for faster performance in the case where kernel support exists.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-801-349-2682