[coreutils] How do you copy 60 million files?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: [coreutils] How do you copy 60 million files?
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 11:02:24 -0700

OK, OK, so I shouldn't waste time reading The Register, but I do,
so I can't resist sharing a pointer to this story:

Pott T. How do you copy 60m files? The Register (2010-09-24)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/24/sysadmin_file_tools/>

Basically, Pott's problem was that he had to copy 60 million
files from one Windows file server to another.  He tried all
sorts of Windowish tools, from Microsoft and from other suppliers.

Then the light bulb hit: he booted CentOS on a Linux virtual
machine, mounted the source and destinations as SMB shares,
and used coreutils' "cp".  Voilà.  His conclusion:

"So the best way to move 60 million files from one Windows server
to another turns out to be: use Linux."